My Blog

THIRUKKADAIYUR

No comments

Thirukkadaiyur

Thirukkadaiyur (Thirukadavur) is a temple town on the east coast of Tamil Nadu, about 300 km south of Chennai and 15 km north of Karaikal. The famous Amritaghateswarar – Abirami Temple of Tirukkadaiyur is associated with the legends of Markandeya and Abirami Pattar, which is a replica. The original temple, Thirukkadaiyur Mayanam now called Thirumeignanam, built in  The 11th century, was ravaged by sea and is in ruins now. People worship and pray at Thirukkadaiyur temple for long life. Brahmapureeswarar Temple at Thirukadaiyur Mayanam or Brahmapureeswarar Temple Thirumeiganam, Pillaiperumalnallur, another famous Padal Petra Shiva Sthalam is located nearby, easterly.

vibrandTHIRUKKADAIYUR
read more

BHUVANAGIRI

No comments

Bhuvanagiri

Bhuvanagiri is the birthplace of the saint of South India, Sri Raghavendra Swami. The town is also close to the birthplace of Saint Ramalinga Adigalar (town Maruthur).

The word Bhuvanagiri is a combination of two Tamilized-Sanskrit words – Bhuvanam (means World) and Giri (means Mountain or Unmovable). Hence, the name Bhuvanagiri can mean “the place (world) that does not move“.Bhuvanagiri is internally referred to by the local population as “Mel Bhuvanagiri” (Western Segment) and “Kezh Bhuvanagiri” (Eastern Segment). Agriculture is the main occupation of more than 3/4 of the town’s population and they depend on it.

vibrandBHUVANAGIRI
read more

POOMPUHAR

No comments

Poompuhar

Puhar (also known as Poompuhar) is a town in the Nagapattinam district in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It was once a flourishing ancient port city known as Kaveri poompattinam, which for a while served as the capital of the Early Chola kings in Tamilakam. Puhar is located near the end point of the Kaveri river, aside from the sea coast. It is mentioned in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. It has now been established by marine archaeological research (conducted by the National Institute of marine archaeology, Goa) that much of the town was washed away by progressive erosion and floods. In the sixties and seventies of 20th Century, Archaeological researches were conducted under the leadership of the noted archaeologist Dr. K. V. Soundararajan. Submerged wharves and several meter lengths of pier walls excavated in recent times have corroborated the literary references to Poompuhar. It was rebuilt several times after that. Ancient Pottery dating back to the 4th century BCE have been discovered offshore by marine archaeologists east of this town.

vibrandPOOMPUHAR
read more

SIRKAZHI

No comments

Sirkazhi

Sirkazhi is a municipal town in Nagapattinam district in Tamil NaduIndia. It is located 13 km (8.1 mi) from the coast of the Bay of Bengal, and 250 km (160 mi) from the state capital Chennai. Sirkazhi was a part of Thanjavur district until 1991 and has later been part of Nagapattinam district. The town covers an area of 13.21 km2 (5.10 sq mi) and in 2011 had a population of 34,927. It is administered by a second-grade municipality. Sirkazhi is part of the Cauvery delta region and agriculture is the major occupation. Roads are the main means of transportation; the town has 51.47 km (31.98 mi) of district roads, including a national highway.

vibrandSIRKAZHI
read more

PUDHUCHERRY

No comments

Pudhucherry

Puducherry formerly known as Pondicherry  is a union territory of India. It was formed out of four exclaves of former French India, namely Pondichéry (Pondicherry; now Puducherry), Karikal (Karaikal), Mahé and Yanaon (Yanam). It is named after the largest district, Puducherry. Historically known as Pondicherry, the territory changed its official name to Puducherry on 20 September 2006.[8]

vibrandPUDHUCHERRY
read more

VELANKANNI

No comments

Velankanni

Velankanni (Vēḷāṅkaṇṇi), is a Special Grade Panchayat Town in Nagapattinam district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It lies on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, 350 km south of Chennai (Madras) and 12 km south of Nagapattinam.

Once a port that traded with Rome and Greece,the tiny commercial center gradually lost its importance to the larger city of Nagapattinam. The canal built to link this town with Vedaranyam still lies to the west. The Vellayar, a minor branch of the Cauvery River, runs south of the town and discharges into the sea. The town was among the worst hit by the tsunami caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake.

vibrandVELANKANNI
read more

GANGAIKONDA CHOLAPURAM

No comments

Gangaikonda Cholapuram

Gangaikonda Cholapuram is a town located in Ariyalur, Tamil Nadu, India. It became the capital of the Chola dynasty in c. 1025 during the reign of Rajendra Chola I, and served as the Chola capital for around 250 years.

The town is about 70 kilometres (43 mi) northeast of Thanjavur city. As of 2014, the ancient city exists as a heritage town in the Ariyalur district of Tamil Nadu, India. The great temple of Brihadeeswarar Temple at this place is next only to the Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur in its monumental nature and surpasses it in sculptural quality.

vibrandGANGAIKONDA CHOLAPURAM
read more

VAITHEESWARAN KOIL

No comments

Vaitheeswaran Koil

Vaitheeswaran Kovil or Pullirukkuvelur is a Hindu temple dedicated to the Lord Shiva, located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.Shiva is worshipped as Vaidyanathar or Vaitheeswaran meaning the “God of healing” and it is believed that prayers to Vaitheeswaran can cure diseases. Vaitheeswaran is a Tamil derivative from vaidya (Doctor) and Ishvara (God/Master). The presiding deity is Sri vaidyanathan. He is the God of Healing. When pronouncing in Tamil, it sounds like “vaideeswaran”. It is one of the nine Navagraha (nine planets) temples and is associated with the planet Mars (Angaraka).

vibrandVAITHEESWARAN KOIL
read more

PORTNOVO

No comments

Potnovo

Parangipettai, historically called Porto Novo (“New Port” in Portuguese) is a panchayat town in Cuddalore district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Parangipettai is located on the north bank of the mouth of the Vellar river at a distance of 30 km from Cuddalore. From the state capital city of Chennai, Parangipettai can be reached through the National Highway NH45A stretch between Cuddalore and Chidambaram.

vibrandPORTNOVO
read more

TRANQUBAR(THARANGAMBADI)

No comments

Tranqubar

Tharangambadi, formerly Tranquebar is a town in the Nagapattinam district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu on the Coromandel Coast. It lies 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Karaikal, near the mouth of a distributary of the Kaveri River. Tranquebar was the first Danish trading post in India established in 1620. King Christian IV had sent his envoy Ove Gjedde who established contact with Raghunatha Nayak of Tanjore. The Danish government sold the colony of Tranquebar to the British East India Company in 1845. Until then an annual tribute had been paid by the Danes to the Rajah of Tanjore. Tharangambadi is the headquarters of Tharangambadi taluk, while its name means “place of the singing waves”. The name Trankebar remains current in modern Danish.

vibrandTRANQUBAR(THARANGAMBADI)
read more